Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Humble, TX
From 2007-2012 there were 12,789 crashes involving bicycles in Texas. Of these accidents, 297 of them were fatal. This is due to drivers failing to provide the proper space for bicycle riders as they share the roads. Here at PM Law Firm, we can provide an experienced bicycle accident lawyer that understands all aspects of bicycle accident cases and laws. Bicycle riders don't stand much of chance when going up against cars in the streets, but in the court room, that can be a different story. That's why it's important to find the right attorney and make sure all of your rights as a cyclist are protected.
If you or someone you know has experienced a bicycle accident, we can provide you a bicycle accident lawyer that will listen to your specific case and give personalized service based on your specific needs. Likewise, we also provide representation to family members of victims that were killed in bicycle crashes/accidents.
The Causes of Bike Accidents
Bike accidents can happen at anytime without any warning. They can occur on a busy road or a slow intersection. Some common causes of bicycle accidents that we see at the PM Law Firm include:
- The vehicle driver takes an unsafe turn crossing an intersection
- The vehicle driver is distracted while driving (i.e., texting, talking on the phone) and missed the bicycle rider
- The vehicle driver did not provide enough space for the bicycle rider in the designated bike lane
- The vehicle driver abruptly opens the door without minding the path of a bicycle rider
- The vehicle driver is driving his/her vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
These are the most common cases we see here in Humble, TX and surrounding areas, but we understand that there are many more ways a bicycle accident can occur.
Texas Laws for Bike Riders' Protection
On a more positive note, most cities and states (including Texas) have started to understand that bike riders need to be protected under the law. One example is the growing number bicycle lanes in major cities and busy areas across the United States. Another example is the creation of important protective laws that are applicable to bike riders and other non-vehicle road users known as the Vulnerable Road User Statutes. This is a city ordinance that enables the protection of bicyclists as well as pedestrians by way of requiring vehicle drivers to do the following whenever they are surrounded by bike riders and pedestrians (vulnerable road user):
- Provide ample space for lanes when passing a vulnerable road user
- Provide the right of way to a vulnerable road user that is approaching in the opposite direction when making a left turn or right turn
The ordinance also prohibits the following:
- Turning into a vulnerable road user’s lane after overtaking
- Using the vehicle to intimidate or harass the vulnerable road user or in such a way that the vehicle road user is threatened
- Throwing things at a vulnerable road user from the vehicle
If you experience any of the above, it is clearly a violation of the ordinance and we suggest contacting us at the PM Law Firm to go over your legal options should you choose to pursue them.
Injuries That Are Caused By Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries for bicycle riders as there is little to no protection for them when coming in contact with a vehicle. The most common types of bicycle accident injuries include the following:
- Brain damage
- Injuries to the spinal cord
- Damages to the soft tissues, ligaments, soft muscles and joints caused by whiplash
- Wrongful death
- Fractures / broken bones
Get A Trusted Bicycle Accident Lawyer
It is important to have someone on your side that will help you contest anyone (such as insurance companies) who might try to minimize the gravity of your case. Here at PM Law Firm, we fully understand your rights as a bike rider and we will work with you to get the compensation you deserve.